Tuesday, February 26, 2008

2/26

I've started reading with a fury, and I've already hit page 336/467. So far, Bean has been taken off the streets where he used his wit to survive and been recruited to a battle school while a nun tries to find out the secret by his ungodly intelligence and reasoning skills. Bean is rising fast in the ranks in battle school while mysteries of his shrouded past are being uncovered. I've learned a LOT so far, but one thing has really stuck out to me. Where most authors try to use symbolism and hints that are to be interpreted by the reader to predict the plot of the book, Card uses something else. With all this writing space filled with vivid descriptions and figurative language that is empty now, Card instead fills it with incredibly realistic mental journeys that often describe one single thought the character had and all of the steps it took him to get there. You can tell if the thought happened instantaneously or it took more time than it did for you to read the paragraph. It is the most accurate simulation of an actual thought using a human language I've ever seen and there are great indications of Card's writing styles and themes of the book in these mental tangents. I am definitely sucked into this amazing book and I'm not coming out until the end.

No comments: